Airship

https://www.icanvas.com/canvas-print/nighthawks-13378#1PC3-40x26

• Air screamed as it rushed by my ear, and the ground so very far away was rushing closer and closer to my very breakable form. I didn’t panic, I didn’t stop, I didn’t fear the ground rushing toward to me. I closed my eyes and let myself drop.
  • Nothing mattered but that which is in front of you, not your friend at your back holding on and tucking in close. Not the leather keeping you warm, filled with the sent of gas and oil. Nothing mattered but the rushing scenery heading to meet you face first.

Before an airship falls its men fall first.

• Nothing could save him from the crushing defeat of not being fast enough of not pushing himself to the limit and working harder than ever, of not being enough for something like this, of reaching his the finish line last, the backs of others mocking him every step of the way.
  • He was catching up, a wind at his back, pulling him forward and toward the edge, toward Nike the victorious. Victory danced at his lips and he couldn’t feel anything see anything except his goal, eyes on the prize and never let go.

No more, he thought as he felt like dying.

• Almost, Almost, Almost there he was so close he could feel it, by the tips of his fingers he could feel it in his bones, one last stretch, one more effort given, he was close so close he couldn’t back down now he couldn’t give up when so much was at stake.
  • Well that was invigorating they though, trying to catch the breaths they lost in that grueling fight. They blinked the sweat from their eyes and collapsed on the ground ready for some rest, just one last rest, they had earned it after all hadn’t they.